FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Candlelight

We have returned from McCallie (yes we are burning up the road between Charlotte and Chattanooga) and a wonderful evening of Candlelight. We have only missed one in the past seven years, and I still love this McCallie tradition. But this year was difficult. I have not spent much time in the chapel since Joe's service. I remember that night so vividly. It was cold outside and the chill in the air seemed to creep in around me, invading my fond, warm memories of past visits. This is where the Honors Scholars weekend started for Joe, Tony and David; where Joe and Tony received Cum Laude; Baccalaureate takes place here; where Joe did both of his chapel talks, and Tony and David will deliver their talks this spring.

I have always felt comforted in the McCallie Chapel, a place the boys gather every morning for announcements, guest speakers and talks given by faculty and students. My breath caught in my throat when I walked up the steps, I felt for the strength of Mike's arm as we entered hoping not to feel that chill I had felt this past January. I walked into warmth, as if a light blanket had covered my shoulders, and then there was Sam's smiling face, David's roommate. He stepped outside the pew gesturing us to join him, and as I sat I knew the tears would come, but Sam would have none of that business. He chatted about Wake Forest, Tony and David, and the week they would spend at the beach before graduation. Then there was the hug that lingered from Avery's mom. It was Rich's dad who talked about our first dinner when they were freshman and Joseph who played his cello more beautiful than he did at Joe's service.

The chill did not creep in, the chapel was warm and full of hope, and this time for us it was not filled with tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment