FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Monday, November 29, 2010

The Funny Thing Is...

This past Thanksgiving I saw my mom standing, ironically, in the same way my grandma did with us when we were growing up. Her hands were clasped in front of her the same as Pheobe did when she would ask us "So what is going with you?" It was the same stance, the hand to her face and the gaze into your eyes as she would listen. Only this time the conversation was with Tony and David, her grandsons, not her children. It must be the best time in your life to watch you grandchildren grow up and revel in their accomplishments as well as their set backs.

I watched my mom move from Tony and David to Sarah with the same gaze and stance, and then on to Sarah's boyfriend John and her friend Ann. Each time I was amazed about her interest, but mostly about her gaze as she connected to every person. So my dear mom when I get to your stage of life I hope I have the same stance, the same clasp of my hands and the same wonderful gaze into my grandchildren's faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment