FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's

New Year's eve holds the promise of fresh starts, dramatic resolutions (many of which I have never kept so I have given up), champagne toasts and if you are with the one you love a kiss to greet the next year. Our New's Eve this year will be very different than last year, and yet if I could rewind the clock I would. It was a quiet evening with just Mike, Joe and myself. Tony and David had gone to a concert and were gone until just before midnight.

Even though we were within a week of losing Joe forever, he was still here, I could sit by him, work the crossword puzzle with him, even though he could not offer any answers to the clues,I could hold his hand. I could give him water and medicine to soothe his beastly pain. I had a planned purpose for the day instead of rambling through life enveloped in this shroud of pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment