FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Thursday, April 15, 2010

I'm Not Losing My Mind

When driving to and from McCallie without the boys I always listen to NPR. Six hours of NPR can be daunting, but over the years I have found it to be very informative and when I travel alone it is like having company along for the ride.

During my latest trip, while listening to Fresh Air, I learned I am not losing my mind. Good gracious what a relief. Apparently, starting at the age of 30, we lose our focus and it has everything to do with the frontal cortex. The explanation became very medically detailed of course losing me along the way since I was not using my frontal cortex. The bottom line is we are not slipping into the darkness of dementia or Alzheimer's.

So we can relax. If you can't remember a person's name, or when landing at the bottom of the basement stairs you forgot the item you wanted to retrieve, or even recall what you had for breakfast, there is no need to worry. Now if I can only remember how they told me to engage your frontal cortex I could help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment