FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Who Would have Thought

My stomach has been churning, my heart has been in my throat as I have relived the weekend we received the news that Joe was dying. I couldn't sleep, I pushed myself to hard with my training for our 5k. My body ached and I tried so hard to find comfort, but it was elusive, always just out of my grasp, a step away.

But comfort came to me tonight in the form a dinner with family. It was a night of remembering, not of Joe, but of the wonderful summers in Scituate, my sleepy home town on the East coast. There were stories of Maria's subs, launching our sail boat, sailing in the Atlantic Ocean and attending our step grandfather's recognition dinner for the National Science Foundation at the State Department.

You just never know in times of your deepest grief where you find the reprieve, the allowance of laughter, the ability to remember without tears. For all of you that give us that gift we are forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment