FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Dreaded Group

When Joe was diagnosed with cancer we were given an invitation to the inner circle of a dreaded group. The group of those with cancer, or with loved ones with cancer, not something you seek out and desperately want an exclusive membership. We had a gold card membership and became "frequent flyers" at Levine Children's Hospital.

Now, not even a year since Joe has passed away a dear friend has been initiated to the "group you never want to have a membership". Her daughter cried in my arms today asking why my mom, saying not my mom. I held her, rubbed her back and gave her the best words of advice given to me. It is OK to be scared and to cry; and buy your mom a notebook and pens so she can write everything down during the barrage of information over the next few days. Then keep it on hand for all the drugs that will be given as a log so not to miss a single vital dose towards her recovery.

I felt the same pit in my gut today as I did with Joe. I will know their sleepless nights until their questions are answered and a plan is put in place. I know how friends and family will circle them with love and support, and I hope this will be a story with a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment