FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Harvest Moon

I have to confess I never really look up to the sky to find the moon. I just take it for granted it is always there. The whole time Joe was in the hospital I never saw the moon. The view was either blocked by buildings or we were on the wrong side of the hospital. Joe loved the moon and the stars. When he was twelve we bought him telescope for his birthday and he would sit on our front porch and gaze into the sky for hours.

Tonight as Mike and I were walking to the car I saw the most beautiful "Harvest Moon". One Joe would have loved and the first I have seen in over four years, and it reminded me of a conversation I had with Joe. While he traveled Europe he kept looking for the moon and could never find it. He went through France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy never seeing the moon. He thought it was very strange. While we were there I made an effort to look for the moon and could never find it. Yes, I thought it was strange also.

But when David and I arrived in Scotland, in the late hours of the night, there was the moon, so bright white it lit up the town. I don't know exactly where Joe finally saw the moon on his travels, he never said, but I am sure it was in Ireland where the sky is big and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment