FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Charleston

Today I felt energized for the first time in a week and my heart was being pulled to Charleston where we had spread Joe's ashes this past summer. I was awake early in the morning and after chores and errands I pointed the car south on I-77 to merge on to I-26 towards Charleston. The old BMW hummed beautifully down the road and deposited me in the perfect parking spot within yards of where his ashes were spread amongst us and his friends. I carefully pulled Joe's IPod from my purse and found "On the Go 3", his favorite songs we had listened to for months soothing him to sleep. I stood at the railing, holding the rosemary from our garden, listening to his music and an incredible calmness came over me. As I dropped the rosemary into the bay it did not float out to sea instead it followed me as I walked to the car.

I wonder where his ashes are. Were they taken out to sea to exotic places or did they stay in the bay? I am not sure but my guess is that Joe was carried out of the bay on to wonderful places for that would be his wish. But for a moment today I felt he knew I was going to be there, he returned and walked me to my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment