FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Difficult Ways to Give Back

Today I sat on a panel of parents talking to nurses and social workers at Levine Children's Hospital to discuss transitions, mostly meaning from doctor's offices to the hospital, or from unit to unit within the hospital, or from surgery to the floor. We each had to tell our story with positive and negative experiences. I sat on a panel with two other mothers, their stories were ones of recovery, mine was not. My story was about a death after so many recurrences of cancer. I felt the overwhelming jealousy of how fortunate they were to have their child survive. I asked, why was I here?

Eventually I knew my position, I knew my purpose. I was the voice of teenage cancer patients. I was their advocate and could speak from experience. I had the perfect platform to make a difference. My voice stated meek and crackling but soon sounded strong as I felt the passion of wanting to give back. As difficult as it was it was perfect.

2 comments:

  1. Like I've said before, Diane, you are the strongest and most positive person that I have the priviledge and pleasure of knowing!!!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete