FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sixty Two Years

Many of us are grateful to make it 62 years. But, wow, throw down the gauntlet, 62 years of marriage. I sat there with my mom and dad celebrating tonight and the wow factor was my dad opening the door for my mom, ordering her dinner, pushing her chair up to the table so it was just right. And then it was my mom gently laying her hand on my dad's when he would stray from the point of the story.

Sarah and John asked what it takes to get to 62 years. My dad answered it is commitment, getting through the tough times and then relishing the good times. But he finally said if you know this is the one you want spend the rest of your life with go for it, and never look back.

Mike and I saw and took that advice from my parents. We took the leap of faith that all would work out and when it was ugly and painful we held on tighter to each other. When it was time to rejoice we did. But always we were committed.

1 comment: