FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Friday, June 1, 2012

Two Cards

Working at the Blis gift shop we have customers come in asking for very specific items. This past week one came in to buy a gift for her friend's sister who was in the hospital. She was wheel chair bound and contracted a cold, which can be deadly for those who are paralyzed. Four days later another customer came in to buy a sympathy card for her friend's sister who passed away. Yes, the one in the wheel chair had died and she was trying to come to terms of the loss of such a young girl. I told her not to buy a card but instead write her a letter. If you can find the words it would mean more than a card. Then two days after that a man entered the store that was empty of customers, he asked in a clearly agitated way, a distraught way, I need a card for my good friend who just lost his son. He was 23, and he said I don't even know what to say. I laid my hand on his arm saying if you can write a letter or even a sentence it will mean more to them than any card you will send. What was kept from Joe's death were not the cards but the notes, the emails and the letters from friends. Even if it is a one line note of "I don't know what to say" or a lengthy letter it means so much more than any canned sympathy card.

No comments:

Post a Comment