FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Leaving McCallie

I have driven down the long drive away from McCallie, along with the well placed speed bumps, for seven years. But this drive was the hardest. Every time I drive to the gates and turn right I feel I have left a good friend behind.

I gingerly, and loving placed my oldest son there his freshman year. I cried all the way home. I watched Joe pack Tony's mini fridge his Senior year, saying, "I will plug it in so it is cold enough for your insulin", a comfort for mom sending off a diabetic to boarding school. I saw him buy the rugs for Tony and David's rooms and making sure they were laid out perfectly when they arrived.

But I have also felt the warmth of the hugs from parents and faculty. And every time I pass through the gates to and from McCallie I think of the new friend I have made and the one I bid farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment