FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Crossing T's and Dotting I's

Even with as much time we were given leading up to Joe's death we still missed some of the obvious. This past month was one of the most glaring and today we corrected the oversight.

To make a long story short we had Joe's ashes separated into three boxes, to be spread in the places of his choice, and one urn for our home. It finally dawned on us, I mean all of us, that we had one urn, and what would Tony and David do after we are gone. Would they pass it on to each other at holidays? Would one have it for six months and the other for another six months? Joe wanted part of his ashes to be with us, so today we made it right.

We gathered his remaining ashes and returned to the funeral home. Within a short time another urn was filled and the remaining ashes were re-wrapped for us to spread at Holden Beach and Charleston. When I retrieved them they asked if they could carry them to the car. I declined, hugging the bag tightly. Tears were in my eyes, my voice was choking and I rubbed the boxes eerily reminiscent of how had rubbed his back as a child.

So Joe you will never be far from your family and we will never be far from you.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you all had a Holden Beach connection! Joel's family has gone there just about every year of his life, so I've been for the last 10 (in about a week, we'll leave for my 11th trip). What a special place.

    ReplyDelete