FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Education Series for the FAC

Once again I stood in front of nurses, interns, and support staff of LCH recounting our story of Joe and sharing how this impacted our family.  Yet again my voice quivered and broke sharing our history.  I so want to be able to stand strong during that part.  I guess that will take time.

But even with my shaky start an incredible dialogue emerged.  Where and when is the right time to approach families who have had their world rocked to the bottom of their souls.  Should we have Palliative Care be involved at the start for rare cancers.  When do we bring up insurance coverage and the right time to introduce Medicaid or SSI as a supplement to your insurance.   When is the right time to say this will take a toll on your family and your finances.  When do you say to a family in a devastating spiral you need to look out for yourselves, your other children and we are here to offer help.

I do not know all the answers to these questions but I am feeling better that they are being asked.  And that is what Levine Children's Hospital is all about. Treating not only the patient but the family as well and I am proud to be a part of the Family Advisory Council at LCH.

No comments:

Post a Comment