FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

My David

I always call him 'my David" since I have a brother with the same name. Tonight this is about "my David".

It easy to get caught up with a two time All American diver but it is a very different thing to wrap your arms around a son that is following a dream that only a few are successful. Friends ooh and aaah about Tony wanting to be a doctor and his diving. And then ask what will David do while he is writing. That is the thing he is going to write and not be something else until he writes. He wants to be a writer.

His Writing Fellows teacher at McCallie, who has published a book, was at a reading not long ago. One of the questions referenced her guidance to students who want to be writers. She answered that there has only been one student that expressed that interest and he introduced me at my very first book reading. That was My David.

He may not set records but I know I will be the first to say "I knew him when".

No comments:

Post a Comment