FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Chapter One

I have been Joe's Mom, and Tony and David's, since their birth. It is a label I both cherish and at times wanted to run the opposite direction from depending on their behavior.

But for the last four months of Joe's life I held the title of Joe's Mom. It was the signature at the end of the daily blog on Caring Bridge to update our friends and family. I held the title proudly and I hope with grace since for many it was the only news about Joe and our family.

Joe left so many things behind to guide us through our grief and the most precious were his private conversations with us. Here and there we have dropped a line or two but mostly we have held them to ourselves. Reading his emails, journals and his Caring Bridge postings I experienced a boy full of hope drop to bitter anger then to sadness. I will never forget this particular line: "Everything is done and now all I have to do is spend time with my family, which is what I love to do the most."

So it's a start, rough and painful, but still a start and someday it will be a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment