FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Monday, June 14, 2010

When The Tables Turn

I was wondering months back if there would ever be a way for me to pay it forward. Would there ever be a chance for me to be a "MaryKay" to another family? Would I have the opportunity to hold their hand and receive their phone calls with complete understanding of the overwhelming fear they are feeling?

Sunday opened the door of opportunity and I seized it knowing full well this family, whose son was just diagnosed with cancer was adrift, without oars, in an ocean without any sight of land. I grounded myself, just as my friend did for me, listening to this mother's fears, offering advice and shedding tears with her.

I don't like being part of this club of knowing about chemotherapy, of percentages for survival or of keeping a "drug log". But I am, so the best I can do is help another family navigate these treacherous waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment