FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Friday, June 4, 2010

Friends

I attended a McCallie Alumni and Parent luncheon Wednesday, and a new graduate talked about what McCallie meant to him. The one idea that stuck with me was the friendships he developed over the past four years. I remember and know now how important those friendships are for the boarding community.

All through Joe's treatments in Charlotte there were times that tugged at my heart, broke my heart and shed tears from my heart on our front porch. Joe's teachers, his swim coach and boys in his class went out of their way, sometimes many miles out of their way, to stop at our home for a visit. And Joe in his courageous manner would always step up, pushing aside his exhaustion and pain.

There was never a more gracious outpouring of love and devotion demonstrated by Joe's friends than at his services in Charlotte and at McCallie. They, without question, put aside what was important for them to support our family, but it did not stop at Joe's funeral.

On Mother's Day I received a call from a close friend of Joe's, I receive text messages from his friends, and this past week I had dinner with one of Joe's friends from McCallie in Charleston. It is always a connection to my son who is gone, a time to talk about Tony and David and an opportunity to catch up with the guys who were a part of Joe's life.

There are many binding friendships at McCallie. One is classmates, another is faculty and students, but for the parents it is our sons and their friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment