FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Another Goodbye

Once more we spread Joe's ashes in a place that is dear to our family and a place we spent summers since we moved to Charlotte; Holden Beach.

Arriving at the point of Holden Beach we were met with a beautiful Carolina blue sky and a wind blowing straight into our faces. We toasted Joe with Jameson followed by a chaser of Guinness and celebrated the wonderful memories we had shared on this spit of sand called Holden Beach. So we rolled up our pants, and me hiking up my skirt, waded into the surf, bending close to the water as we gently placed his ashes into the ocean. We sat on our blanket and watched the waves carry my son out to sea, a place he always found peace and happiness. I hugged my dad, my mom, both who had tears in their eyes, my boys and Mike.

It was time to go and we did. As we left I asked Tony and David to pick up shells. All three of the boys did this whenever we went to the beach in the past. In the typical teenage way they searched, discussed, discarded and decided on the best five shells. These are shells I will treasure forever.

1 comment:

  1. How very touching to read about your trip to Holden Beach. It is a beautiful place, Joe obviously loved it there. We are very thankful we were able to share some time with your family at Holden Beach. Those memories I will cherish forever.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete