FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Seven Years

The tears spilled down my cheeks and I was sure they were not noticeable to the faculty on stage. It was Baccalaureate at McCallie. I saw the podium where Joe gave his first and last chapel talk, and where Tony exposed his ability to be himself, and David challenged his classmates to accept failure. I raised my eyes to forever memorize the faces of the faculty and staff who made Joe's graduation possible and covered Tony and David in a blanket of comfort. Our connection to this school is different. Our years were filled with hope, then devastating news, then hope again.

It was a Baccalaureate for Tony and David without Joe. It was a graduation without Joe. It was a weekend of joy and heartbreak. One of putting rosemary on Joe's ashes, one of white pants and navy blazers and missing Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment