FLOWER IN A SIDEWALK

Cultivating Resilience & Joy On The Other Side of Heartbreak

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Ugh! Another Birthday

Tomorrow I will be 55. Oh good God this allows me the benefits of AARP car insurance, a discount at some movie theaters in Charlotte; maybe even enough savings to sneak an extra movie on the monthly budget; and the harsh reality that the skin on my elbows will never firm up again.

According to my family history I should have another 40 years to live. Again, good God that is daunting to think about so I leave that for another day. I wonder what changes I will witness in those years. I have already experienced the gut wrenching college application process as opposed to when we went. The bottom-line for us was if you had the money we will take you. But I have read watches are obsolete with the incoming freshman, email is to slow so texting is the way to go and before long everything you do will be on your smart phone, including credit card purchases.

My grandmother was born in 1900. In her lifetime she saw the invention of the car, the phone, computers and a man walk on the moon. I was born in 1955 and will witness our lives shrink to quick notes on a phone, the loss of a hand written note and nobody wearing a watch. Well, I am keeping my watch and my stationary. I find it much easier to check the time on my wrist rather than digging out my phone and there is nothing like the feeling of a handwritten note in your hand to comfort the soul.




1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Diane!
    I remember when I turned 55. Ah, to be young again! Actually, I will be 60 in 2 weeks, a week-and-a-half after Hurst goes back to Penn for the fall.
    I'm still enjoying reading your posts and I caught up on a lot of them tonight. I can't believe that David and Tony will be seniors at McCallie this year. I still remember Belk Hall and moving in freshman year when Joe lived next door to Hurst and how good Tony and David were at the video games on Joe's computer and how young they were.
    I still think of you, Mike and the twins quite often.
    Alfred

    ReplyDelete